On 2023.07.31 13:23, Matt Connell wrote:
On Mon, 2023-07-31 at 20:16 +0300, Alexe Stefan wrote:
> > Normally I would be in the chorus of "why do I need a whole entire
> > web
> > engine for an email client" but I'm also in the group of people who
> > knows full well what the answer is.
>
> What is the answer?
> Mutt doesn't need a web engine.

For the reason that you just demonstrated for the class: HTML emails.

Now, your simple mail shows just fine in a plain text only mail client,
but in my world, and I'd wager most people's world, handling HTML
messages (which includes CSS for legibility) is a necessity to some
varying degree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm "team plaintext" all day every day but I'm not
going to make my life more difficult on principles.  There are hills
worth dying on but this isn't mine.
I haven't tried it in a while, but Carbonyl (https://github.com/fathyb/carbonyl) is a web browser that runs in a terminal. I wonder if it could be used for a text based email client to actually display HTML emails, without the overhead of one of the big graphics libs.