On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 9:13 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sometimes I wish they would announce when they add features.  Rich, you
> frequent this list.  If you hear of something new, could you post it?

Sure, if a relevant topic comes up and I'm aware of it.  However, I
doubt this setting is going to do much that nice doesn't already do.

The original focus seemed to be on memory use, and niceness will not
have any impact on the memory use of a build.  The only thing that
will is reducing the number of parallel jobs.  There really isn't any
way to get portage to regulate memory use short of letting it be
killed (which isn't helpful), maybe letting it being stopped when
things get out of hand (which will help as the memory could at least
be swapped, but the build might not be salvageable without jumping
through a lot of hoops), or if the package maintainer provides some
kind of hinting to the package manager so that it can anticipate how
much memory it will use.  Otherwise trying to figure out how much
memory a build system will use without just trying it is like solving
the halting problem.

--
Rich