On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 12:24 PM n952162 <n952...@web.de> wrote:

> $ tar -xjvf /var/cache/binpkgs/dev-util/cmake-3.22.2.tbz2  ./usr/bin/cmake
> It looks to me that it's in the tarball received from gentoo.

Unless you tell portage to fetch binpkgs it won't fetch one from
Gentoo.  Until very recently Gentoo didn't even offer them.

Distfiles are located in DISTDIR, not PKGDIR, as defined in make.conf

> Maybe I'm misinterpreting something?
>
> emerge --getbinpkg n -v --tree --deep --update --noreplace --changed-use
> --verbose-conflicts --keep-going --with-bdeps=y --backtrack=100 cmake

Most likely you have FEATURES=buildpkg set.

Unless you're short on space I recommend leaving it set.  Being able
to re-install from a binary package can be handy if somehow a package
gets corrupted.  It doesn't require a working toolchain/etc, and of
course is faster, and gives you the exact same result as rebuilding
from source assuming you haven't changed the underlying dependencies,
USE flags, etc.

Portage won't actually use a binary package unless you tell it to with
--usepkg(only) (-k/K).  Most common use cases for this are when you
want to either use upstream binaries, or build your own to stage or
deploy en-masse.  I build binpkgs with a cron job overnight and then
when I review the packages to be installed I can skip most of the
build time by using --usepkg - I get the exact same result as building
them after I review the packages to be installed, since these are all
built with my settings anyway.

--
Rich