On 11/28/23 03:38, Michael wrote:
Over the last 8-9 months I noticed an old Lenovo G505s laptop is spending a
long time in the POST process, before eventually the OEM logo shows up on the
screen.  Last time I timed it, it took 2.5-3.0 minutes.  Normally it would
only take ~20-30 seconds.  Once the logo shows up the boot process proceeds
without further delay.

Initially, this delay to POST would happen randomly and rarely.  Now it
happens every time.

Things I tried:

1. Reflashing the UEFI firmware - it didn't work because it already has the
latest firmware.

2. Removing the main battery and holding down the power button for 15 seconds,
hoping to reset the firmware.

3. Leaving the PSU cable connected overnight.

4. Testing the RAM and HDD.

None of the above improved the situation, or indicated what might be wrong.

I'll reseat the RAM sticks and the HDD next, in case a contact is oxidised,
but what else could cause this noticeable delay to POST?  A failing RTC CMOS
battery?

We have had a few of these at work and these symptoms were cured by a new CMOS battery. The voltage on the battery has likely dipped to 2.9-3.0 volts; they get unreliable then (i.e. it's dead.) If you leave it long enough you'll start getting RTC errors on POST.

I'd try that first, assuming you can still get the CMOS battery for these.

Dan