Holly Bostick wrote:
> Qian Qiao schreef:
>>On 11/6/05, Jarry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>All I do is running this set of commands every night from
>>>crontab:
>>>emerge --sync emerge --update --deep --newuse world emerge
>>>--depclean revdep-rebuild
>>
>>Omg, you have emerge --deep --newuse --update world as a *cron* job?
>
> .... and just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, comes a
> depclean .... every night.
>
> Ciaran said it best:
>>I really hope you don't want your system to carry on working...

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap3
======================== <copy&paste>=====================
Updating your System
To keep your system in perfect shape (and not to mention install the
latest security updates) you need to update your system regularly. Since
Portage only checks the ebuilds in your Portage tree you first have to
update your Portage tree.

Code Listing 2: Updating the Portage tree
# emerge --sync

 When your Portage tree is updated, you can update your system with
emerge --update world
Code Listing 16: Removing orphaned dependencies