On Sat, Feb 03, 2024 at 10:18:41AM +0000, Michael wrote

> Try > switching to [*] the following:
>
> # CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB is not set
>
> # CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM is not set
>
> # CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE is not set
>
> Then hopefully you'll get a console kicking in.

  It teased me.  Text console present first part of bootup with the
fast-scrolling output, then it disappears.  It may be a kernel bug
that's solved in the 6.7.x series, so I'll revert the changes and wait
fpr a 6.7.x kernel to show up in "emerge --sync".  See...
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/f39-kernel-6-6-x-no-video-on-intel-integrated-graphics/98360

] I was filling out the details for a bug report. Under the description,
] it asked if I have tried rawhide. I installed 6.7.0-0.rc4.35.fc40 and
] it fixed the issue!

> Also, unless you use an initrd don't forget any firmware blobs which
> may be be needed by your graphics card and while you're at it add
> your CPU microcode there too.

  The graphics is a bog standard Intel i915 integrated chip that's been
running on the laptop for years without blobs.

--
Roses are red
Roses are blue