Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2024-04-28, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> With DOS disk lables, Grub uses empty space between the boot sector
>> and the first partition as a location to store it's core image file.
>> That empty space does not exist when using GPT disk label. When using
>> a GPT disk label, Grub requires that you need to create a "BIOS Boot"
>> or "Grub Boot" partition so that Grub has somwhere to store it's core
>> image[1].
> And it bears repeating that the bios/grub boot partition only needs to
> be 1 or 2MB in size, is _not_ formatted with a filesystem, and is
> _not_ the same as either
>
>  1) The "boot" directory where the kernel images and grubs other files
>     are installed within a Linux filesystem. [Which you still need
>     when booting in Legacy/BIOS mode.]
>
>   or
>
>  2) The UEFI partition that's formated with a FAT filesystem and used
>     in UEFI boot mode [which you don't need when booting in
>     Legacy/BIOS mode.]

I think I got a grasp on this now.  Basically, partitions should be like
this.

First spot is the alignment thing.  Usually a few MBs or so and unused.

Grub boot partition with ef02 setting, not to be formatted.

/boot partition for kernel and init thingy.  Usually 1GB or so, enough
for memtest, bootable rescue image etc.

/ or root partition that is around 150GBs or so.  Enough to expand a bit
and includes /usr and /var.

/home  rest of disk unless some needed for something else.

Do you recall when running grub-install what that command looks like?
Lets say the Grub partition with ef02 setting is sda1, would it be
grub-install /dev/sda1 or just sda and it finds the empty partition on
its own?  That's the only thing I'm not real sure of at this point.  I
think it is sda.  Maybe. ;-)

Or is all that above just plain wrong?  O-o

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  Been on tractor with a box blade.  Did three very long driveways
and a couple short ones.  My neighbors have smooth driveways again.  :-D