On 2024-05-01, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> The partition type code for 'swap' is wrong -- it should be
>> 8200. According to the gdisk help info Linux /home is supposed to be
>> 8302, but I've always used the same generic "Linux filesystem" type
>> for both /home and root.
>>
>> Is the 'boot' partition for future possible UEFI use, for Linux /boot,
>> or both?  [I've never used a separate partition for Linux /boot, I
>> just use a /boot directory on the root FS.]
>
> I noticed the other day that some new ones was added.  I always leave it
> as 8300 and it works.  It even works for swap.  I dunno.

If you have an entry in /etc/fstab for swap, it might not matter if
the partition type is set to 'Linux swap' or not. I always set the
swap parition type to 'Linux swap', and then it doesn't seem to matter
if there's a swap entry in the fstab or not.

> The /boot is where kernels and init thingys go.  Keep in mind, this is
> on a old rig that has no idea what UEFI is.  When I build my new rig
> later, I'll do a install from scratch anyway.  Also, it will go on a SSD.

OK, so 'boot' is for the Linux /boot directory.  I was just curious
since I had never used one.

> I mostly want to post so that a person can see the layout.  Really, the
> first one is what a person wanting to use GPT on a old BIOS system needs
> to see.  After that, they can do partitions anyway they want.

Right.