Hi,

I just installed Gentoo on an AMD64 Sempron machine. RAM is not a problem.. 1GB of it.

I just emerged xorg-x11. The graphics card is VIA Unichrome onboard. I have a perfectly fine working FC4 system. I used the FC4 xorg.conf file. First ran Xorg -configure. Kept all the paths from Gentoo and filled in stuff like mouse, keyboard, monitor and graphics card configuration from the FC4 file. I tested the file with X -config /root/xorg.config.fc4 and it worked fine. I then copied it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and gave startx. But twm refused to start. I could just a see a black screen with a black X mouse pointer in the middle. I moved it and it was lagging very badly. So I killed the X server and emerged fluxbox.

Fluxbox started fine. But when I tried to open xedit.. it went terribly slow.. Same thing with xcalc. People in #xorg on Freenode told me that I needed to look for via_drv.o module. I didn't find it. Xorg doesn't install it. vesa gives very bad performance as stated above. Interestingly, vesa is what FC4 uses and it runs absolutely fine!

What am I to do? I would appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Thank you,
Mrugesh