Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov <at> dir.bg> writes:

> > media-video/realplayer

> > I get this error message:
> > <snip>
> > Connecting to helixcommunity.org|207.188.25.135|:443... connected.
> > ERROR: Certificate verification error for helixcommunity.org: unable to get
> > local issuer certificate
> > To connect to helixcommunity.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
> > Unable to establish SSL connection.
> > <snip>

> Some days ago there was such question IIRC.
> The problem was: wget isn't compiled with ssl USE-flag, therefore can't
> connect to SSL-enabled sites. Compile wget (or other BTW) with "+ssl".

ssl is in my make.conf file, furthermore, checking wget:
Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-misc/wget-1.10.2  -build -debug +ipv6 +nls
-socks5 +ssl -static

> Or pass it some parameter "--no-check-certificate" to connect. man wget.

I already tried everything I could think of... syntax suggestion?

> Or just download it with a browser and copy to distfiles directory.

OK so I put RealPlayer-10.0.6.776-20050915.i586.rpm into /usr/portage/distfiles
and it's installed with 'emerge realplayer'.

This is a new trick for me!
Can I download any rpm, stick it in this directory
and it will install with emerge?
Details or a wiki on this subject?

What do I do about updates? Just grab the latest rpm and repeat the process?

Any permanent fixes so it just emerges like the other packages?

James