Mark Knecht wrote:
Good points. I agree it doesn't seem like the Gentoo way to remove
options, however, in response to Derek's original point about rising
or fallign numbers of Gentoo new users it might be wise to make the
default install Stage 3, thus making the newest users most likely more
successful, and then create some (not so obvious) option to allow
folks like you that have good reasons to do Stage 1 if they want it.

I know not what I speak of as I cannot even imagine anymore why I'd
want to do a Stage 1 install, but I do assume all that work must have
some value to others.

It appears that you can still do the equivalent of a Stage 1 install using the Stage 3 tarball - the Handbook points to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12 which has instructions on how to re-bootstrap the system and rebuild with new compiler flags.

--
Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,