-----Original Message-----
From: Allan Gottlieb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 12:16 PM
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: default stage3

At Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:13:14 +0100 "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Monday 21 November 2005 13:33, Steve B wrote:
>> WTF.. I'm getting ready to rebuild my gentoo box. I have always did a
stage
>> 1 install. i was under the impression that if u used a stage 3 u couldn't
>> muck with your CFLAGS or what not.

3.  If you fiddle with USE flags, /etc/package.* files, etc, you can
    get the effect of a customized stage1 install by recompiling
    everything twice.  I suspect simply
         emerge -e world; emerge -e world

    3A.  Only a few items really need to be compiled the first time.

    3B.  There are scripts in the forums to do this "automatically".

I installed gentoo on a dual Opteron box this weekend, I've always done
stage1 installs, but this time decided to try the recommeded stage3 method.
I understand the concept of doing an "emerge -e world" in order to get the
optimization of a stage1 install, and I've done this ( one time ) on the
install I just completed. Can sombody explain why it's necessary/desirable
to do this *twice*?

What real difference does the second execution really make?

Thanks,
Bob Young