Charles Trois wrote:
> The legal time, here in France and at this (winter) period, is
> GMT + 1, as shown correctly by the clock of my iMac, but "date"
> keeps returning GMT + 2.

Sounds like your harware clock is running at local time.  What does
'hwclock --show --debug' say?  Look for the line saying "Time read
from Hardware Clock:".

If the hardware clock is really set at UTC, do you maybe have TZ
set?  'echo $TZ'.  If it is, then unset it: 'unset TZ', and then
see if date and hwclock operate correctly.  And also check that the
symlink /etc/localtime points at the correct zone.

Benno