On November 18, 2005 02:14 pm Benno Schulenberg was like:
> Your time zone is correctly set?
> Check with 'ls -l /etc/localtime'.

I think the problem was a corrupt /etc/localtime.

When I set up the system I made /etc/localtime a symlink, but SOMETHING seemed
to have changed that and replaced it with a copy of (what I presume to have
been) the file the symlink should have been pointing to. Unfortunately it
must have been a corrupt copy. Deleting this file and reinserting the symlink
seems to have made the problem go away.

I think the guilty SOMETHING was most likely the kde date and time setting
utility.

Thanks once again to everybody for their help.

Robert
--
Robert Persson

"Don't use nuclear weapons to troubleshoot faults."
(US Air Force Instruction 91-111, 1 Oct 1997)