On Wednesday 30 November 2005 08:49 am, a tiny voice compelled Dale to write:
> Ernie Schroder wrote:
> >On Wednesday 30 November 2005 03:00 am, a tiny voice compelled Uwe Klosa
> >
> >write:
> >>I have used both versions. The compiled version seems to be more stable
> >> on my system.
> >
> >I've installed OO both ways in the past and stability hasn't been an
> > issue. The only thing I noticed is that the compiled version opens faster
> > than the binary version. As I remember, the difference was roughly 7
> > seconds. It seems like an eternity these days but if I weigh that 7
> > seconds against the time it took to compile, I would have to open the
> > application around 4,100 times to make the 8 hours it took to compile
> > worth my while.
> >
> >>Uwe

> Well, this is what I have to worry about:
> >
> > --07:39:04--  http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/OOO_2_0_0-core.tar.bz2
> >            => `/usr/portage/distfiles/OOO_2_0_0-core.tar.bz2'
> > Resolving gentoo.osuosl.org... 64.50.238.52, 64.50.236.52
> > Connecting to gentoo.osuosl.org|64.50.238.52|:80... connected.
> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> > Length: 157,108,531 (150M) [application/x-tar]
> >
> >  0%
> > [
> > ] 1,019,392      2.78K/s ETA 15:29:44
>
> 15 hours to download just that part.  There is likely to be even more
> than that.
>
> I still like to compile my own.  It is why I chose Gentoo, everything is
> from source.  If I wanted binaries, I could have stuck with Mandrake.
> Plus as someone said above, it is more fun.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)
>
> --
> To err is human, I'm most certainly human.

 Granted it's more fun (I think) but I have other interests that I would
rather engage in. I just installed openoffice-bin in 7 minutes and 7 seconds
including D'load time.
I've recently done 11 months worth of updates on this box and have about 40
hours of build time on it in the last 10 days. I want to use it, not watch
more text fly by on the console.
OO is not an application I use daily. I have it  installed because I need it
maybe twice a week. It's just not worth 12 hours of 95% cpu load to me to
compile it.
By all means, if you spend several hours a day using OO, compile it from
source. You will see a performance gain.

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 09:04:36 up 18:51,  5 users,  load average: 3.25, 1.98, 1.08
Linux 2.6.5-gentoo-r1 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+