Hi all,

I was upgrading gcc using the directions in the GCC Upgrade Guide.  All
was going well.  I was user what the Guide refers to as the "safer"
method.  I got to the 321 of 642 mark and the upgrade bombed.

The specific upgrade being done was cyrus-sasl.  Early in the output it
complained about both "gdbm" and "berkdb" USE flags being set.   Then, a
message was displayed that it would be best to build this package with
berkdb and told me how to set this in my "package.use" file.  The build
waited 10 seconds and then proceeded. This occurred overnight, so I'm
just finding this out.

Immediately after waiting the 10 seconds for a response to the db issue,
the build process displayed this message:

* If you are still using postfix->sasl->saslauthd->pam->mysql for
* authentication, please edit /etc/conf.d/saslauthd to read:
* SASLAUTHD_OPTS="${SASLAUTH_MECH} -a pam -r"
* Don't forget to restart the service: `/etc/init.d/saslauthd restart`.

I'm not exactly sure what this means.  I do have mysql on my system and
have to provide a password when I use the database associated with it,
but beyond that, I don't know if I should be doing what this message is
telling me or not.  Assistance here would be appreciated.

Again, a pause for 10 seconds occurred while waiting for a response, but
since I was asleep and didn't give one, the build went ahead.

The configure process completed and the make started.

The last few lines before the make process bombed and the first couple
of lines of the error message are as follows:

ar cru .libs/libsasldb.a db_gdbm.o allockey.o
ar: allockey.o: No such file or directorymake[2]: *** [libsasldb.a] Error 1
make[2]: *** [libsasldb.a] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/var/tmp/portage/cyrus-sasl-2.1.20/work/cyrus-sasl-2.1.20/sasldb'

If I am interpreting this correctly, it the configure and build went
ahead using gdbm rather than berkdb and the correction would be to edit
my package.use file as previously indicated and rebuild.

However, my issue is that since I was at the 321/642 point of doing the
'emerge -e' world' portion of the upgrade, I don't know how to rectify
the problems and continue with the upgrade.  Or do I have to start from
scratch with the 'emerge -e world'?

Can someone offer some guidance here?

I apologize for the length of this, but wanted to make sure that I
included all the details that might be relevant.

Regards,

Colleen