On 12/5/05, Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you have several Gentoo rigs, you can also set up a rsync server.
> You actually already have it but it is not turned on.  Search for rsyncd
> on the forums in the Documentation, Tips & Tricks

I have three machines w/ Gentoo: at work, one machine is connected
with a T1 or so that is fast after hours.  A laptop has wireless
working, not much storage.  A desktop at home is connected only by
dialup.  I'm not certain what an rsync server is, but I am guessing it
would be a cache of files that could be picked up by other machines.

Perhaps the laptop could do this, and serve as a go-between.  That's
the main thing I am trying to do---move files off the machine at work
(or conceivably the laptop) to the machine at home, for installing and
updating.  It's excruciatingly slow to emerge alot of large packages
of 100MB and up by dialup.  Glacial.

I saw a Tip document today on how to use XDelta (deltaup?) to save
time.  Is this a workable solution?  I am not averse to carrying a CD
around, or using the laptop as a go-between.

> <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-12.html?sid=e41d96c167f9ac50c47f0f182a86c8a9>
> sectioon.  Oops, that sort of tunred into a link didn't it.  Sorry.  May
> be handy for him though.  o_O
>
> Let us know what you are trying to do.  If you are off base, we can get
> you on track so you won't loose it again.

I understand now about not using /usr/portage for personal work or off
the wall administration.  I actually think that I can pull off what I
had in mind, and the machine is currently grinding away at the
downloads, as I type, across town.   The rsync server seems
interesting, though.

Alan