I've always had agp compiled into the kernel and never had a problem with the nvidia driver.

I don't know how much you've done, but have you made sure that the system is set for nvidia opengl? I think if it weren't it might explain why it's not saying no screens found with the nvidia driver, but glx isn't working.

eselect opengl list - is nvidia the one with the * by it?

On 12/8/05, Kristian Poul Herkild <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
Luis Ortiz wrote:
> Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
> [more...]
>
>>_glxgears returns following:_
>>Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>>glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual.
>>
>>_nvidia-settings (under menuitem OpenGL/GLX information) return following:_
>>The OpenGL extension 'GLX' is not supported by
>>the X server or there was a problem retrieving
>>GLX information from the X server.
>>
>>-Kristian Poul Herkild
>

> Do you have:
>
> Load "glx"
>
> in the modules section?
>
> Section "Module"
> # [some other modules...]
>         Load    "glx"
> EndSection
>
> --
> Luis Ortiz

Yup

# This loads the GLX module
     Load       "glx"

and it's within the "Module" section. All it took was to uncomment the
line. But it's not bad. I got the nvidia kernel to work and that's a
major step forward.

However, AGPGART was not compiled as a module but compiled directly into
the kernel which means NvAGP cannot be used, so now I'm recompiling the
kernel with AGPGART as a module and I've added Option "NvAgp" "3" to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf ... and then I'll have to do the nvidia-kernel dance
again and if that doesn't do anything I'll come "screaming" again ;)

But at least the nvidia-kernel _does_ work :)

-Kristian Poul Herkild