> I have a system on an Abit motherboard with the Nvidia GeForce 4 chipset.
> There are two SATA disks in a hardward stripe configuration using the
> controller built in to the motherboard.  The machine and disks were used as a
> Windows XP workstation.  Now that Windows installation is hosed up and I'm
> using the opportunity to covert this machine to a Gentoo desktop.
>
> However there is some data on the drive that I'd like to recover before
> blowing the disk away.  I booted the latest Knoppix dated 9/23/05 and see two
> icons on the desktop for my drives.  One for sda the other for sdb.  I can
> not mount either.  I assume this is because Knoppix is seeing each drive
> individually instead of the one logical striped drive it is.
>
> Is there some magic I can perform at the boot prompt to get Knoppix to see the
> two individual drives as one logical striped drive?  I can't recover the data
> from booting Windows because it's all screwed up and reboots itself shortly
> after logon.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew
> --

what about safe mode? or an overlay install? or even the recovery
console?  i know that doesnt answer your knoppix question but i deal
with that crap everyday and i have tried using knoppix a few times and
it had problems with the ntfs partitions.  where would you put the
data once you got it? its booted off the cd, so even if it was a
burner how would you burn something when the drive is being used? a
flash drive possibly.  but probably the easiest way to get that data
(sorry to say) is get winders functioning again, get your data, and
then blow it away.  which rises a question, if its a hardware raid
stripe, i dont think knoppix should be seeing both drives, i thought
the hardware controller told it what to see, so it should only see the
one raid device, at least that was my take on it.  hope some of this
helps.

--
Linux, because I'd rather own a free OS than steal one that's not
worth paying for.