Ernie Schroder schreef:
> On Monday 12 December 2005 09:12, a tiny voice compelled Marc
> Christiansen to write:
>
>> Ernie Schroder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> [ebuild     UD]       sys-devel/m4-1.4.3 [1.4.4] [ebuild     UD]
>>> sys-devel/autoconf-wrapper-3-r1 [3.2] [nomerge      ]
>>> app-admin/perl-cleaner-1.01 [ebuild     UD]
>>> dev-lang/perl-5.8.6-r8 [5.8.7-r2] [ebuild     UD]
>>> sys-devel/libperl-5.8.6-r1 [5.8.7]
>>
>> The four packages above that portage wants to downgrade are all in
>> ~x86. Looks like you had ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in your
>> /etc/make.conf but deleted it or you removed the packages from
>> package.keywords.
>>
>> Hope that helps, Marc
>

> Close but no cigar. I did use
>
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge kde
>
> All of these ~x86 packages were brought in at that time

Well, that explains it.

For the 7 billionth time,  ACCEPT_KEYWORDS= on the emerge command line
is a /temporary/ setting, valid /only for that emerge/.

Portage *does not remember it* once the emerge is completed-- so as far
as it knows, it is only allowed to install the stable packages for KDE,
not the unstable.

That is why it's trying to downgrade-- and this is why you are not
supposed to use  ACCEPT_KEYWORDS= on the command line (because this will
happen, and it's a real PITA, as you see).

In order to authorize Portage to accept *and keep* the unstable
packages, you /must/

1) either add "~x86" to  the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS= setting in /etc/make.conf
(but this will allow all unstable packages, which you may not want);

2) add the specific unstable packages you want to
/etc/portage/package.keywords

These are the only settings that will permanently override the default
settings, which are "allow stable only", unsurprisingly.

I'm sorry to say, but either suck it up and add all the relevant
packages to /etc/portage/package.keywords (several people have posted
little scripts to do this, check the archives), or suck it up and wait
till the packages are stable.

HTH,
Holly