I'm about to run an update world following a sync and I noitce that
cvs is one of the packages involved.  I couldn't remember how to make
emerge use a specific ./configure flag.  Not sure I ever really
understood that whole business anyway, although Holly and others have
attempted to explain it to me.

I wanted to use `./configure --enable-rootcommit' (or similar) since
this is a single user machine.

It didn't seem worth learning to build my own ebuild so I built it
from tar.gz and installed on /usr/local.  Then unmerged the existing
cvs installation.  Now as I recall there is some syntax that needs to go
into one of the possible files under /etc/portage to cause future
emerges like the upcoming update to ignore cvs, but I've forgotten
it.