maxim wexler wrote:
> I created a fat32, ID 'b' partition w/fdisk.
>
> Formatted w/ mkdosfs -F 32

Please show the output of cfdisk or parted.

> But can't be mounted in gentoo: unknown filesytem type
> 'vfat'. In fact the same error occurs w/ -t vfat, -t
> auto or no specified fs at all.

Then you're still missing something in the kernel.  Turn on anything
vaguely fattish and dossish in the kernel config.  Also maybe try
to mount it with -t fat32.  And please paste the exact command and
output given.

Also try creating a dos file system on a dummy file and mounting it
on a loop device and see if that works.  And try creating and using
a fat16 file system instead.

Benno