On Saturday 17 December 2005 21:55, a tiny voice compelled Richard Fish to
write:
> On 12/17/05, Ernie Schroder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm obviously looking in the wrong places, but I can't find documentation
> > on getting udev to start at boot. Sound and a few other things you don't
> > notice right away fail to work until I do:
> > # udevstart
> > /dev/dsp is created with correct permissions and I'm good to go. The
> > question is:
> > How to I get udev to start at boot?
>
> Udevstart doesn't actually start udevd...it just rescans the devices
> and recreates device nodes.  The actual udev daemon is started by
> /sbin/rc, possibly via /lib/rc-scripts/add-ons/udev-start.sh depending
> upon your version of baselayout.

via /lib/rc-scripts/add-ons/ contains devfs start and stop and udev start and
stop scripts.
/sbin/rc looks right

> Having RC_DEVICES=udev or auto should be sufficient to start udevd on
> startup.  Setting dev=udev in grub.conf is not necessary, and probably
> won't change anything.

Having RC_DEVICES=udev or auto

Where??

> Now for your missing device nodes, maybe you just need to do:
>
> rc-update -a coldplug default
moved coldplug from boot to default no joy

> > kernel /bzImage-2.6.14-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/hda5 dev=udev
> > video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x317
> >
> > Also If you see why the boot complains about my video mode, feel free to
> > comment.
>
> 1. If you are using vesafb-tng, you cannot use vga= to set the video
> mode. It must be part of the video option like so:
> video=vesafb:[EMAIL PROTECTED],ywrap,mtrr

Thanks that did it

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free

 22:27:31 up 4 min,  2 users,  load average: 2.34, 0.91, 0.36
Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r42.6.14-r-4_new i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+