[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:
> John Jolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>> mkinitrd :)
>>
>> you shouldn't need that with a 2.6 kernel, though.
>

> Is it not required for the trademark gentoo boot up with nifty
> graphics?

The nifty graphics on boot are not provided by any kernel initrd you may
create, though such graphics may be *included* in any such initrd.

The splash initrd is created by a separate application, splashutils.

If this utility is present, you can use it to make a boot initrd with
the graphics (or, I believe, get genkernel to include the graphics in
the initrd it makes by default), but you can compile the splash directly
into the kernel and bypass the initrd completely (if you don't use
genkernel which is going to make one anyway).

If that's all you're concerned about (the pretty splash), then what you
want to read is

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash

This will explain how to set up your kernel to support splashutils and
how to get it running on your system, either with or without an initrd
(I used to use an initrd, but I don't anymore and compile the splash
directly into the kernel). I can confirm that the Wiki instructions do
work correctly, but you can also follow the link to Spock's Gensplash
page (Spock is the Gentoo dev who created fbsplash and splashutils),
where he has short instructions as well.

HTH,
Holly