quoth the [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> root # egrep -v '^(#|$)' /etc/conf.d/net
> config_eth1=( "192.168.0.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.0.255" )
> routes_eth1=( "default gw 192.168.0.20" )
>
> Those are the correct parameters, and the ones that have worked for
> mnths although the format changed a few updates back.  So I think
> those settings are not the problem

Fair enough...

> >> It is preventing most services from starting by way of the normal
> >> channels although they can be started without problems by hand and
> >> using the flags found in /etc/conf.d.
> >
> > Can you elaborate here? Do you mean that if you try:
> >
> > /etc/init.d/ntpd start
> >
> > it fails but if you use:
> >
> > /etc/init.d/net.eth1 start
> > /etc/init.d/ntpd start
> >
> > it works?
>
> No
>
> > It is preventing most services from starting
> > by way of the normal channels
>
> `It' being the cause of the blob of output I posted.
>
> `Normal channels' being the init scripts like happens on bootup or when
> root calls /etc/init.d/NAME start/stop/status
>
> Those methods fail after invoking the blob of ouput.
>
> >  although they can be started without problems by hand and using the
> > flags found in /etc/conf.d.
>
> `by hand' being:
>
> If root looks up the appropriate flags found in /etc/conf.d/NAME, and
> then starts NAME with:
>
> # NAME $AppropriateFlags
>
> It works like:
>   # ntpd -u ntp:ntp &
> ntpd starts and runs normally
>
>   # sendmail -bd -q30m -L sm-mta
>   # sendmail -Ac -q30m -L sm-cm
> Sendmail starts and runs fine
>
> No crazy output.

Ok, are _all_ your init scripts failing here, or just ones that depend on
network? Obviously, if you are resorting to starting your network 'by hand'
then gentoo is not going to know internally that the network is up and
running, and hence try to start networking for those services that depend on
it...

> > Do you have a net connection when you try this? What is the status
> > of eth0? I am wondering why it tries to start eth1 here instead of
> > eth0...
>
> The ones listed above yes, but only because I ifconfiged one up.  The
> normal bootup call to init scripts failed.
>
> > If eth0 is already up,
>
> eth0 isn't a player in my working network for now although I do use it
> occasionally.  I have 2 nics, only one in use.  It happens to be seen
> as eth1 so that is what I use in /etc/conf.d/net
>
> >           and a net connection is present then ntpd should be
> > satisfied, and not try to run another net.* script.

> I'm not sure what you are talking about here.

Well, in your OP you can see that the ntpd init script is trying to start up
your network (net.eth1) because ntpd depends on it to run. It cannot know
(well, it can, but is not set up that way...) that your network is already
running, because you started it outside of the normal channels (your term).

>  As I stated, the bootup
> init calls failed.  I've shown ntpd output as a matter of example but
> only after having built the network by hand with ifconfig and route.
> Not by `/etc/init.d/NAME start'.  (Again, that fails)

I do not know what to tell you at this point other than it seems your init
scripts, or perhaps /sbin/runscript is totally borked. If you are a hands on
sort of guy, you may want to see the init script guide:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=4

the second last section "writing initscripts" goes intop details of how they
run, perhaps it can help you to walk through your scripts and figure out
where the problem lies. If not, you might need to file a bug report, or talk
to a gentoo dev...

-d