Dale schreef:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Dale schreef:
>
> Who is this schreef guy?  I'm just Dale.

:-) (at least I hope you're jokiing)-- "schreef" is "wrote" in Dutch (so
now you know a word of Dutch, hurrah!). It's just the default quote
header-- as you see before "Dale screef" is "Holly Bostick wrote", which
is the exact same quote header, but yours, quoting me, is in English,
while mine, quoting you, is in Dutch. My Thunderbird is in Dutch as are
almost all my other desktop applications, as I'm trying to learn Dutch
computer language the hard way. It's not much use telling a native Dutch
speaker to choose Edit=>Preferences=>Composition=>Send Options if their
desktop is not in English, they don't speak English, and I don't know
the Dutch words for what is actually appearing and I'm not physically in
front of their desktop. Not much hope of getting work as a tech support
tech if I don't know the proper terminology  when I'm trying to help
people over the phone, for example.

I beg your indulgence in this matter.

>>> Hi guys, and Holly,
>>>
>>> I ran a revdep-rebuild on my main rig and it says it needs to do
>>> this:

>>> OK, the "U" means Upgrade right?  The "D" means downgrade right?
>>> What the heck is going on here?  How is it going to upgrade then
>>> downgrade and why?
>>
>> It's not going to "upgrade, then downgrade" It means that the
>> upgrade *is* a downgrade from the version currently installed.
>
> Oh, I see.  Sort of looks funny though.  LOL

Agreed, but really it's not a big deal, especially since the
currently-installed version is right there in brackets after the version
that is about to be installed, and it's easy to see that the version
proposed to be installed is a downgrade from the currently-installed
version.

>> This can happen for a number of reasons, but all the reasons relate
>> to the currently-installed package being "illegal" on your system
>> in Portage's view.

<snip>

> Mine was in package.keywords for some reason.  I dunno.  A ghost
> maybe????  LOL
>>
>> You see that "using exisiting /root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files"?
>>
>> That means that you previously ran revdep-rebuild -p and the system
>> is using that output to run the actual rebuild.
>
> Yea, I just used the up arrow and bash history.  I usually rm the
> files before I run revdep.  The first time anyway.

<snip>

> Well, I took it out of package.keyword and this is what I get now.
>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # revdep-rebuild -p

<snip>
>> Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #
>
> It works and it didn't change anything.  Oh well.  It works, I'm
> happy.

Yes, because there was nothing wrong with the currently-installed
version, apparently; revdep-rebuild only thought there was because the
previous output that you were using required a package no longer present
(because you had already upgraded it to the currently-installed version
before you ran the actual rebuild based on the previous output).

Holly