Hi
I am having problems with emerge working during installation.
I have Pentium4 with HT PC, and tried to install gentoo-2005 twice,  eveything was fine ,hardware was easily detected, but network did not work well with proxies.
I did
$export http_proxy=http://spsingh:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3128 but links2, emerge do not work.
they give error 407 Authentication required, that is connects to proxy server but cannot authenticate me. However I can links2 to internal webpages which do not require proxy.

More on this, I am currently running ubuntu,
when I do the same thing in it, wget does not work but apt-get works.
To get wget to work I have to do in addition to exporting is
wget --proxy-user=spsingh --proxy-passwd=passwd http://whatever.whatever

Please help me. I wish so much to try gentoo out. Is there a way to check if emerge works without having to go through half of installation so that I do not have to waste time again.

Thanks