On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 01:24:26AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:18:16 -0800 (PST), maxim wexler wrote:
>
> > Oh, and another thing: I don't have cups in my make.conf. Doesn't
> > make.conf override the defaults?
>
> It does, but since you have no reference to cups in make.conf, the
> default is used. Many USE flags are enabled by default in the profile,
> add -cups to make.conf to override this.

  It was garbage like this that finally convinced me to put "-*" at the
front of my USE variable, followed by the stuff that *I* decided I
needed, not the stuff that the developers decided "the average user"
needed.  Here's mine, yours would probably be different.

USE="-* 3dnow X a52 aac alsa bzip2 cdr dga dio divx4linux dri dvd dvdr dvdread
encode exif ffmpeg flac fortran gb gif gtk2 imlib jpeg maildir mikmod mime mmap
mmx mng mp3 mpeg ncurses nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl plotutils
png posix quicktime readline sdl sharedmem slang sockets sse theora threads
tiff truetype vcd vorbis win32codecs wmf xpm xv zlib"

  I have run into one or 2 booby-traps.  E.g. /etc/portage/package.use
needs the line...
app-text/xpdf motif
...or else motif should be put into USE.  Without "motif", xpdf builds,
but only installs xpdf libraries, but not the executable.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca