A static IP address is something you have to configure on the DHCP server, on the computer it just asks the server "What IP address am I supposed to have?". If you're set up with a static IP, it compares your mac address to a list and gives you the one you've assigned to it. The client side doesn't do anything out of the ordinary.

Sergio Polini wrote:
I can't understand how to ask dhcp for a static address.
I've read /etc/conf.d/net.example, but using

config_eth0=( <IPaddress> netmask <netmask> brd <broadcast>)

in /etc/conf.d/net configures my network interface _instead of_ asking dhcp (the files in /var/lib/dhcpc are not updated).

If I use

dhcpcd_eth0="-s <IPaddress>"

dhcpcd hangs.

Any hints?