On 1/8/06, Abhay Kedia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sunday 08 January 2006 03:25, Trenton Adams wrote:
> >
> > So, there's documentation that specifically explains that packages can
> > be split, and this can cause a conflict?  I tried to find that, after
> >
> What? How is packages being split even comes in question and why does it need
> "specific" documentation? A conflict is a conflict. It can arise because of
> any new change that has been committed to portage. Man pages explain how to
> solve these conflicts. Job done!
>
> Now I don't understand how hand-picking each problem and then explaining about
> it is going to help. Documentation about a super-set is present. How will
> writing the same thing about each subset help the matter? If anything it will
> just increase the redundancy. What you want is a how to on climbing the
> stairs. Either you can write, "Climb 1st step and then go step by step" or
> you can write "Climb 1st step, then climb 2nd step, then 3rd step, then
> climb..."? Which one do you want?
>

> > I dont' need most of gentoo's documentation, as I've found it quite
> > easy to use, after learning and reading about a few basic things.  But
> > not everyone does.
> >
> Why? Why doesn't everyone else find Gentoo easy? What is it that differs you
> from others? Some super intelligence? The only difference between you and the
> others that I can see is that you chose to read while others don't.

Well, could be many things.  I've found fear of computers to be one
blocker to being better at computers than one can be.  Having fear
creates a mind block.  Another one could simply be lack of experience.
 The more experience you have, the more likely you are able to solve a
*new* problem quickly, as it could be related in some way.  Perhaps
you can call this intuition.  And I'm sure there are many more.

So no, not superior intelligence.  In fact, I don't believe in
*genius*. :)  Actually, I had a great debate about this topic with a
guy at work.  He worships people like Linus and such.  I told him that
even people like Linus, although intelligent, will happily admit that
they are products of circumstance.  And, to prove my point, I did a
search about Linus on this topic.  As it were, he wrote a book called
"The Accidental Revolutionary", or something like that.  I've actually
been meaning to read it.  So, either Linus has false humility (which
is arrogance), or he means what he says.  I've also found that those
who think they are intelligent, usually are not. :D  As it were, I
believe Linus to actually be intelligent, only because he decides to
actually work, rather than sit on his butt all day.  But, that's all a
side tangent. LOL