Hi,

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:07:51 +0000
Stroller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2006, at 12:56, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> >
> > I'd strongly suggest using the Bayesian filters, per-user, that is...
> > [...]
>
> What improvement rate are you seeing for this, please?

About 99% of _Spam_ mails are positively recognized. Up to now I've
never encountered a false positive.

> My concern with these particular users, who are not particularly
> email-savvy, is that they ain't going to train the filters. I just
> don't see it happening. And if I teach them to train the filters by
> dragging & dropping into the "learn" folder then I anticipate perhaps
> just one of them complaining "but why can't I just right-click it and

True. My answer is: "because then you'll get all the spam in your
webmail when being on business trip" :-) Basically, I teach them to use
server-side mail filtering with the same reasoning.

But it makes me think: Does Outlook set some kind of flag to the mail?
Does it note anything in the headers?

> I'd really prefer all spam-filtering to be invisible to the user. I
> don't demand a high success rate: Bayesian filtering should get 99.5%
> or above, I think, but I'd be happy with 95%.

In fact, lots of my users are happy with about that rate and without
learning of Spam. Bayesian filters are activated for all of them, but
they are only trained by autolearning.

> SpamAssassin is currently getting about 33%, which is next to useless.

agreed, and I bet you can improve that. You can also decide to have all
users share your Bayesian database. So you don't have to teach them to
learn Spam.

> IMAP server is Dovecot storing messages in maildirs in users' home
> directories - this makes it convenient for your suggestion, but I
> just don't really want to go there.

You can, as described, reduce the concept at many points...

-hwh