Dale schreef:
> On Tuesday 17 January 2006 23:00, Richard Fish wrote:
>> find ~/.mozilla -name prefs.js -exec grep "mail.smtpserver" {} \;
>

> This is on my old install.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # find home/dale/.mozilla -name prefs.js -exec grep
> "mail.smtpserver" {} \;
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.auth_method", 1);
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.hostname", "mail.exceedtech.net");
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.port", 25);
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.try_ssl", 0);
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.username", "dalek");
> user_pref("mail.smtpservers", "smtp1"); [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #
>

> This is from the new install that I mounted on /mnt/gentoo, you know,
>  like in the install guide.  LOL
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] / # find /mnt/gentoo/home/dale/.mozilla -name prefs.js
> -exec grep "mail.smtpserver" {} \;
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.auth_method", 1);
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.hostname", "mail.exceedtech.net");
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.port", 25);
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.try_ssl", 0);
> user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.username", "dalek");
> user_pref("mail.smtpservers", "smtp1"); [EMAIL PROTECTED] / #
>
> Well, this may explain why neither one works.  They are the same.
> Does that look right??

Looks right to me; these are the same settings I have in Thunderbird
(with different hostname and username, of course), and I don't have any
problems.

What I don't get is why moz is trying to relay directly. I'm no
mail/network guru, but I do know that if I send a mail to someone
outside my network (like, for example, the list), *I* don't relay (send
the mail via another ssmtp server) but rather I send it to my ISP and
*they* relay it (just like snail mail; I drop the letter in the post box
near me and the Postal Service takes it to the next "node" in the town
where the recipient lives, and *their* local mail service delivers it.
It's not like if I want to write somebody in NYC, I have to mail the
letter *in* NYC for it to be delivered...!)

About all I can ask at this point is:

1) what version of Mozilla are you using? What are your USE flags for
your installation? Have you checked b.g.o or mozillazine
(http://www.mozillazine.org/ ) to see if this is perhaps a known bug of
your version of Mozilla? Have you tried upgrading (maybe it's a bug
that's fixed in later versions)?

2) If you go to Edit=>Preferences=>Account Preferences=>Outgoing server
(SMTP), is there more than one server listed, and is your ISP's server
selected as "standard"? Like Iain, I had similar problems (a long time
ago) when attempting to send mail via my home ISP from work, where we
had a different ISP, which wouldn't work because I was logged into my
work's mail server (of course), and not my home ISP's SMTP server, so my
home ISP wasn't going to send my mail, since I wasn't an authorized user
(not logged in). It's hard to believe that there isn't *some* problem
with your SMTP settings that we're missing, though there is no error to
be seen, and of course KMail is presumably set the same way, and *that*
works....

3) I'm wondering if this isn't a Mozilla problem; very curious as to
whether Thunderbird would exhibit it as well. If you want to try it, you
can use the same mail folders and settings as Mozilla, which I can
quickly tell you how to set up (it's like 5 steps, if T-bird doesn't
just offer to import the Mozilla settings for you) if you decide to try
it. Also curious as to whether there's *any difference whatsoever*
between your KMail settings and your Mozilla settings (yes, it's
fine-toothed-comb time).

4) I'm also wondering if this is a "local" problem (to a specific
"outside" address), or a "general" problem (to any outside address).
Have you tested mail to  multiple/different outside addresses, or just
one? If just one, maybe that one is the problem. You can send me a test
mail; I'm certainly outside your local network :-) .

5) It's a long shot, but is there any possibility that you're sending to
an outside address to which your ISP will *not* relay, i.e. someplace
that *cough* Homeland Security doesn't want you writing to (maybe you
have a relative in the service, I don't know)? If there are such domains
(and I'm sure there are), it's within the (distant, we hope) realm of
possiblility that
your ISP is being excessively cautious in order to avoid any spotlight
of investigation falling on them.

6) I don't know much (all right, anything) about sending command-line
mail, but there must be a way to get a "traceroute" of a mail. Maybe
somebody here knows how we could get some useful output about what
happens when this mail pretends to relay itself for some reason.

> I just thought of something.  My new install has two accounts, the
> dalek one and my new one rdalek.  Where's rdalek??  I'm going to
> change later and get rid of some spam, I hope.
>
> I had to fill in the user directories since I was logged in as root.
> Root don't have a .mozilla directory.

Regular users don't have any rights to read root's home directory.
Probably Mozilla can't even see the account unless you're logged in as root.

> I'm open to trying something here.  I'm going to check my brothers
> ISP in a few more hours.  If it works, something fishy at my ISP.  If
>  not, I have a problem here, and no clue what to do.

That's a good idea. No matter what your ISP says, it still could be
something fishy with them (Customer Service isn't always told every
little detail about what's going on with the service, and they can't
help you solve a problem they don't know about).

HTH,
Holly