I'm just writing it for the sake of curiosity, so no flaming is here. Just because some answer sound quite "sarcastic", but that's just a style thing to get it short. :)

Yes, but you then have bloat (because Konqueror contains web browsing
features that you are not using, therefore the code is unnecessary for
you, but nonetheless present).
[...]
> Code, code, code. Bloat (for me).
[...]
> Fine, I can turn them off, but again, there is
> then a whole lot of backend code for a feature that I do not want in the
> first place and know I don't want.

Ehm. Perhaps it's me being dense but: who cares about unused code? Ok, you have unnecessary, unused code sitting on your HD: where's the problem? You never see it.

I have to then spend time finding out how to disable it or avoid
installing it.

It's quite odd you obviously had spent the (worthwile but not instantaneous) time to learn Linux, install Gentoo etc. but then you can't type "emerge --unmerge kmix".

I can't even understand what do you mean here. If you don't want icons, don't put them on the desktop. It's that simple. You have to do *nothing* to avoid icons on your desktop!

The (presumably) default setting (since I've never touched it, and it is
checked in kcontrol) is "Show icons on desktop". There are then two
additional tabs for kinds of icons that you can enable or disable (for
file types and drives).

But if you don't actively link things on the desktop, *nothing* appears on your desktop!!

I have no interest in going through 6 tabs to specify Window Behaviour (I'm looking at the KDE Control Center right now).

Ok, that's a good point. However that 6 tabs are more probably than not a wrapper to a plain text config file, that you can configure with your favourite editor all at once.

Code for a gui function that I'm not using if I'm just editing the base
text file anyway.

?

Yes they work fine, but they look like poop unless you jump through some
hoops to "integrate" them with the look of your KDE desktop. This may
involve installing additional applications (gtk-chtheme or
gtk-engine-qt), or editing a text file (if you need to "fix" GTK 1
programs, which are generally not affected by the "theme consolidation"
programs, which generally assume you're working with GTK2). Since one of
KDE's big selling points is an integrated look-n-feel, "outside" apps
that break the loveliness of the KDE desktop are very noticeable.

This is one of the things I really have never understood.
1)On a, let's say, fvwm or fluxbox desktop (the one I actually use at home, I am a KDE user at work), no app is integrated with nothing. So the situation should be worse. 2)GTK apps look different from KDE apps. So what? gmplayer or xpdf aren't similar to both. What's so bad in them being different?

I don't even type things like that, I bookmark locations in my file
manager (admittedly, Krusader, if installed with konqueror support--
which means I have to install Konq, though I don't use Konq-- does
recognize kioslaves, so I can bookmark folders in media:/ or smb:/ ) and
just go where I intend to go. without further ado. But I can bookmark
locations (even Samba shares and HAL mounts) in most file managers I
have available (Nautilus, Krusader, TuxCommander, emelFM2)

Hmm. So you mean, for example, you can bookmark a location that shows you all SMB-connected PCs on your local network? How do you do this? Even for not-smbmounted shares?

Anyway (apart from the code thing, where I am very curious) I understand your philosophy.
Thanks,

m.