Neil Bothwick schreef:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:56:17 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Just as a note, there doesn't seem to be a choice in this regard
>> (i.e., you have to add kdewhatever-3.5.1 to package.unmask). If I
>> don't add it to package.unmask, I get a halt from Portage because
>> some of the dependent packages that [ nomerge ] packages want to
>> emerge are masked.
>
> 3.5.0 packages should satisfy any such dependencies. Of course, if
> both 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 are masked in one way or another, portage's
> message will probably refer to the latest version. Putting 3.5.0*
> package versions in package.keywords should be sufficient. i've
> certainly not had anything demand a 3.5.1 package on three very
> different (but all ~arch) boxes.

I'm also running ~x86, and kdelibs and kdebase-kioslaves 3.5.0 (the packages
I'm having problems with) are currently installed. But if I do an emerge
-uaD(N)tv world, krusader (because it is compiled with konqueror
support, so it depends on Konq), and something else I forget (oh, it was
knowit, but I uninstalled that, in an effort to solve this problem),
demand to upgrade kdelibs and kioslaves to the masked versions (which
should not be available). And of course, if Portage finds that something
necessary is masked, it stops dead. Adding the two packages to
packages.unmask at least allows the emerge to proceed, though of course
I have to hang about in order to skipfirst, due to the two unavailable
tarballs.

Not that I have any particular desire to upgrade these packages to
3.5.1, but Portage wants to make me, for some reason.

In any case, I don't so much want to hijack the thread (actually, I
don't want to hijack the thread at all), but if this is a 'general'
problem of some sort (which seems amazing, but I have no other
explanation for the bizarre behaviour that both I and the OP seem to be
seeing), I wanted to mention.

Holly