Iain Buchanan wrote:
Hi,

due to the recent discussions about automounting usb drives, I thought
I'd try gnome-volume-manager again.  I compiled it, started dbus and
hald, started gnome-volume-manager, restarted gnome (just in case), but
when I plug in a drive I get (in /var/log/messages):

Feb  7 10:31:08 orpheus FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for
FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!
Feb  7 10:31:08 orpheus Unable to load NLS charset utf8
Feb  7 10:31:08 orpheus FAT: IO charset utf8 not found

hmmm, why can't it find utf8?

thanks,
Make sure you have the utf8 charset compiled into your kernel - in my menuconfig it's File Systems -> Native Language Support -> NLS UTF8 (the bottommost option). Also under File Systems, you can change the default code page and IO charset for vfat filesystems, which should remove the warning.

HTH.