Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> On Thursday 16 February 2006 14:06, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Izar Ilun wrote:
>> > I say that, It'll be just:
>> > - /boot
>> > - swap
>> > - /home
>> > - / (all the rest)
>>
>> That's not advisable. I'd strongly suggest to create
>> filesystems for /boot, swap, /home, /opt, /usr, /var
>> and / (of course). This way you're more flexible
>> and also a bit safer (not such a high risk of running
>> out of space on /).
>
> and he wastes a lot of space,

No, he doesn't. Where does he waste space? Also, to use
your argument - we're no longer in the age where 10gb
harddrives are high end.

> makes boot a lot longer

Not really.

> and increases head
> movement.
>
> One big / (like 40 or 80GB) will be enough

Yes, and it's obviously the worst solution. How do
you mount /tmp noexec? How do you mount /usr read-only?

> With that sizes, it is nearly impossible to fill / completly up.

And it's impossible to have some flexibility.

> To put everything on its own partition was good, when harddisks were 2gb-10gb
> big.

And it's still good today.

> But today it is just a waste of space and time.

No, it's absolutely not.

Alexander Skwar
--
BOFH Excuse #126: