On 3/13/06, maxim wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Then, because I needed to use the phone, after
> downloading 150Megs or so, I ctrl-C'd outta there
> thinking I could pick up where I left off. Wrong!
>
> wget wants to start from the beginning. I gave it the
> -nc option and it reports 'already there, not
> retrieving'.
>
> What did I do wrong? I've done this before with other
> files and this never happened. Maybe I used a
> different tool, can't remember.

>From "man wget":
---------------------------------------
 -nc
       --no-clobber

(snip)

When running Wget without -N, -nc, or -r, downloading the same file in
the same directory will result in the original copy of file being
preserved and the second copy being named file.1.  If that file is
downloaded yet again, the third copy will be named file.2, and so on.

When -nc is specified, this behavior is suppressed, and Wget will
refuse to download newer copies of file.  Therefore, ``"no-clobber"''
is actually a misnomer in this mode---it's not clobbering that's
prevented (as the numeric suffixes were already preventing
clobbering), but rather the multiple version saving that's prevented.

-c
       --continue
Continue getting a partially-downloaded file.  This is useful when you
want to finish up a download started by a previous instance of Wget,
or by another program.  For instance:

wget -c ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/ls-lR.Z

If there is a file named ls-lR.Z in the current directory, Wget will
assume that it is the first portion of the remote file, and will ask
the server to continue the retrieval from an offset equal to the
length of the local file.

Simply try:
wget -c
"ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/releases/x86/2006.0/livecd/livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso";

And be happy...

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil