On Sunday 26 March 2006 01:49 Robert Persson was like:
> I am having trouble capturing from a camcorder via firewire. I can control
> the camera transport from each of the capturing applications (kino,
> cinelerra and mainactor), but I get no video or audio. Nor do I get video
> when I try to use the camera as a webcam in Ekiga (formerly known as
> GnomeMeeting).
>
> I have made sure that I have read/write permissions for all the devices
> in /dev with 1394 in their names. I have tried every variation of dv1394,
> raw1394 etc. that I can think of in these applications' preferences. I also
> made sure to modprobe dv1394, ieee1394, video1394, raw1394 and video1394
> (whatever that is).

I have found a workaround:

1. rmmod [all modules with 1394 in their names]
2. modprobe dv1394
3. rmmod eth1394   (because it doesn't play well with dv)
4. start your dv-capturing application

And just in case anyone wants to know:

1. I still couldn't get cinelerra to capture dv without freezing (but then the
latest version wouldn't build for me).
2. Ekiga's dv support works, but with some serious limitations.

Robert
--
Robert Persson

Conspiracy Bears:
Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...