Hello,

This happened once before in Kubuntu, though this time I was more
alert and know what I did right before this happened.  So what did
transpire?

I sent my laptop into sleep mode via the popup menu on the battery
monitor in KDE.  It did this, however, when the machine came out of
sleep mode, there was no monitor.  It wasn't on.  I tried my basic set
of tricks: try and change the screen brightness; try and switch
monitors via the key combo on the laptop; close the lid and re-open
it; press the key combo to turn the monitor off; press the key combo
to go back to sleep mode (didn't work).

Eventually I picked a button that did work: POWER.  The system shut
down normally!  After X11 died, it went back the the framebuffer and
acted like nothing had happened.

However, right after this, KDE has been acting *really* slow.  Much
slower than it should.  # top revealed that artsd, xorg, and kded were
eating cpu time.  This is the same behaviour as on Kubuntu before.  I
suspect the cause was the same, however, I don't remember exactly so I
won't point fingers.

Do any of you know what this is?  Do you think if I recompiled xorg,
kde, and arts if it'd fix the problem?  Or, even better, is there a
way to axe all the configuration settings and see if that fixes the
problem?  Please help, I think it's affecting Gnome as well (scary!)

Thanks for any input you can give!