On Friday 14 April 2006 01:45 pm, Teresa and Dale wrote:
> Ralph Slooten wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >I did.  However, I sent the key anyway so that you don't have to go
> >
> > hunting
> >
> > >for which keyservers I was able to use.  Some of them didn't work.  I'll
> > >re-try later, but right now there's a few (about two or three - I don't
> > >remember exactly) servers which I wasn't able to upload to.
> > >
> > >The important thing is that I think I got through the process
> >
> > correctly.  If I
> >
> > >missed something please tell me.
> >
> > Signature is fine (imported automatically here), and don't worry about
> > the key servers, most of them sync with eachother ;-)
>
> I tried to set mine up but couldn't get anywhere with it.  Then I moved
> and changed email addresses anyway so I have no clue where to start.

Well, I use KMail, which is nice.

I first installed KGPG, which works to encrypt and sign messages and files.
Create a key there.  Then KMail pretty much works next to KGPG really well.
Upload your key a few keyservers via right clicking on the KGPG icon in the
system tray.

This is assuming you use KDE, though.  I don't know how to do it in Gnome.

> All that said, where is that guide you were using??  I need one if I am
> going to set this up for mine too.

As far as the reference I used, it was for how to organise a keysigning party.
It still has a great deal of relevant information though.

http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html

I also found

http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html#ss5.1

very useful.  I didn't read it all the way through, so I don't know how much
more info it has that I don't know about.  Enjoy!

> Thanks

No problem.  I just hope they can start integrating this stuff into GMail, so
that when I'm not using my laptop and rather using GMail's excellent web
interface I can enjoy the same key signing as I do here.

The really cool thing about all this is that when I used Windows and (GASP)
Outlook (not for long - I couldn't stand its overpowering bloatedness) the
only way to sign or encrypt was with a key issued from some massive
corporation or the Post Office.  $15.  I didn't need it that bad, so I didn't
get it.  Here, with the GPG stuff, it's free!  This is so cool...  If I'm
ever able I'll try hosting a keyserver too, though that'll happen only when I
have the raw bandwidth to do so : (