Michael Sullivan wrote:
On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 23:14 -0400, Jim wrote:
Can anyone recommend a webmail client?  I am looking for something more modern
than
SquuirrelMal.  I have been using SquuirrelMal, however I find it the interface
too old
and outdated.

I also looking into the code to see if I could freshen it up.  From a quick
look, the
code is based on really outdated procedural-style PHP where the code and HMTL
is all
mushed together resulting in a mess like this in compose.php:

What other style is there besides procedural?

I had the same sort of thought about six months ago when I switched jobs. I handle the infrastructure for a complicated web app now and it is definitely not procedural. I tried to troubleshoot some PHP issues since I had done some minor work like that at the last job for idiot web devs.

ws01 site # more index.php
<?PHP
_load_class('HomePage');

$ui = new HomePage();
$ui->display();

And that's it. Of course you can track class homepage to homepage.class which loads mysql.class, forms.class, not to mention the Smarty framework with templates and the CSS. My days of simple procedural troubleshooting of PHP code intermingled with display code are definitely over.

Moving on to the webmail bit, I like Roundcube as well. My personal server is completely overbuilt so it seems as snappy as Squirrel. If you're using PHP 4.4, I'd install pecl-apc which should speed things up greatly. pecl-apc has *issues* with PHP 5.1.x especially if you're using PHP in any sort of object oriented kind of way. I skipped the overly complicated Gentoo ebuild/overlay and installed from source. Works fine with Mysql 5.0 and PHP 5.1.2 if you're that bleeding edge.

Roundcube is low on features like shared address books and things you might find in Horde, but has a nice interface. It's also likely to change quite a bit since it's in early beta so it may not be the most stable choice.

kashani