wu chuanwen wrote:

Celeron(R)2.0G,Ram=512mb,disk=40Gb

That is not bad at all.

yeah!I am using Gnome2.14.I konw it's nice.I am just trying to find
some ways to make it more fast! Is it possible.

What is slow about it? Just the startup or the use of applications or both? One thing I noticed is memory usage and swap can kill performance. You can run free to see how much memory/swap you have in use. What is the output from this command:

top -b -n 1

yes!I am trying to use xfce4 and i have already installed it.
It' s faster and also beautiful.But maybe not so easy to use.
Besides, do you konw how to creat a desktop.link just as in gnome or
kde?I know it's possible but i can find the way in handbook of xfce4.

The development version of xfce supports desktop icons. You would need to unmask the latest version of xfce in Gentoo.

The specs of your computer seem fine to run the latest gnome. What is the RPM speed of your hard drive. I am suspecting the problem is that with 512MB of memory, you are using up swap. Your hard drive is probably only 5200 RPM which can make a big difference on swap speed.

Send me the output of the top command above, the output of free and the output of:

hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

Replace hda with your correct drive.

Jim