On 5/7/06, marcin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/7/06, JimD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> marcin wrote:

> >> I am using gentoo-sources with the Anticipatory I/O sched and did not
> >> notice a slow down when I ran glxgears and nbench.  I get about 980 fps
> >> on my laptop with or without nbench running.  What kernel sources are
> >> you using?  Have you tried the anticipatory i/o scheduler?  Also under
> >> "Processor Type and Features" set the "Preemption Model" to Low-latency
> >> desktop and make sure you check "Preempt the Big Kernel Lock".  Scroll
> >> down to "Timer Frequency" and set that to 1000 HZ.
> >>

> > At the moment I'm using ck-sources with CFQ I/O scheduler and voluntary
> > kernel
> > preemption. It's possible that this is the problem. I will try our
> > settings.
> >
> > Marcin
>
> Ah.  CFQ stinks compared to Anticipatory.  Google the Kernel mailing
> list for CFQ vs Anticipatory.  There is a thread where Andrew Morton
> show how Anticipatory blows everything else away.  You basically want
> Anticipatory for everything but true server system that runs multiple
> server apps and you want them to get equal time.
>
> I just installed the latest ck-sources, I usually use gentoo-sources.  I
> compiled ck-sources with the Anticipatory scheduler, low-latency
> desktop, and 1000HZ and get about the same results as with the gentoo
> sources.  Running nice -10 nbench didn't slow down glxgears much at all.
>   Maybe 5 fps.  I did notice that I get about an extra 125 fps with
> ck-sources as compared to gentoo-sources.  So it looks like I will stick
> to ck-sources for a while and see how they do.

I've tried your settings and it doesn't help. I've rebuilt kernel
couple of times
but as soon as I run nbench glxgears fps drop to 5.

Also are you using nvidia driver? and if so with agpgart?

I have tried some other tests

If I set "export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1" then everything is OK!
glxgears has 75  (as my vertrefresh) even if cpu burns

Without VBLANK
I have noticed that glxgears takes a lot of sys time.
$ watch -n 0,1 "cat /proc/stat | grep cpu0 | cut -d' ' -f4"
and then when I run nbench sys time drops and fps as well.

I hope this helps

Marcin