Robert Persson wrote:
On Sunday 07 May 2006 11:31 JimD was like:
Or stick with xorg-7 and don't do all the little updates?  If i have a
working package, I won't do an update unless the *package* changes.  For
example I wouldn't update a working foo-1.0-r1 to foo-1.0-r2.  I would
(probably) do an update to foo-1.0.1 or something.

The approach I have learned to take with Gentoo is to keep my important
apps stable.  I don't update courier or postfix often.  I will go and
see what the update does and if it is something I need.  If it is a
minor update that corrects handling of Chinese characters during a full
moon, I won't grab it.  I keep gnome at the latest official stable
version.  For apps that are beta quality, I keep those that the latest
version.  For example I unmask and use the latest monodevelop.

Gentoo can be a very nice stable system or a
pulling-out-your-hair-why-did-I-do-that-upgrade system.  Pick which one
you want  :)

One problem with gentoo is that there is no easy way to distinguish a security-related upgrade from something less important. It's not a problem you get with SuSE or Ubuntu. This is one of the reasons why I have just gone along with whatever emerge -avu world threw my way, though, as it happens, the xorg update that caused me all this trouble was just such a security update. The problem seems to have ironed itself out now, after two upgrades and one rollback, but it was not nice to have a non-functioning system for a few hours. And I got a pretty useless response to my bug report.

Generally I am finding administering gentoo way too time-consuming, while the theoretical benefits in terms of performance are not materialising. For instance I am sure that with a lot more tweaking I can get great low-latency performance, but I am beginning to think that I would be better off simply changing distro to Demudi or Fedora/Planet CCRMA and getting the low-latency stuff pre-packaged and ready to roll. Perhaps it might be useful to build glibc and a few other libraries from source, but do I really need to build gimp from source when I don't use it that much? I think it's time I stopped spending all my time tweaking and troubleshooting my system and actually got some work done.

That said, the plus side to gentoo is excellent documentation (particularly the howtos), a very down-to-earth and helpful user community, and the ability to install all kinds of bleeding edge or obscure packages if I really need them (which often I do).

Hmm. Decisions decisions.

Robert

I agree 100% I did the Linux from scratch thing for a while. Then I realized I spend *more* time maintaining linux from scratch then actually using it.

I then did Fedora for a while. I will always like Fedora because RH was my first distro and I am use to the RH-way of things. However I got tired the bloat and rpm repo conflicts. I couldn't get MP3, mplayer and other media stuff from fedora so I would have to use different repos and run in to conflicts.

In between the above two I did Gentoo for a while.

I then did Ubuntu and loved apt. So simple. I was a happy camper until I ran into the one big issue with binary distros I call the out-dated-package syndrome. The mono packages including mod_mono for apache were old and required apache1 while I wanted apache2. After running into issues with wanting newer versions of packages under ubuntu, I came back to Gentoo about 3 months ago. So far I don't spend too much time maintaining. I just don't do an update too often.

I did just try the newest version of Ubuntu and have to say it is *very* nice. Everything on my laptop worked OTB.

However, I do like being able to customize my system and Gentoo gives me a very nice way to do that. The only current issue I with Gentoo that I want to address is a recovery option. I will probably post a thread on that topic soon. I have about 1GB in /usr/portage/packages so I guess I can back that up. However, I want a faster method to restore than I currently can do with Gentoo. If I lost my system now, it would mean rebuilding my base system and the would leave me without a functioning system for a while. With Ubunutu, I would be back up with a base system in 30 mins.

Jim