de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Following closely the instrunctions on the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook, I
> installed gentoo recently (info below) and just did the first reboot
> before finalizing the installation. All worked except for this message
> during boot
>
> System.map not found - unable to check symbols.

Well I had the same problem some time before. I'm using ~x86 tree and
after a update it was solved. I don't remember which package was causing
the problem. But I'm sure it's some init script. It's not a kernel
problem. I now have no problems.

But here's my logic as to why this warning shows up. According to
/etc/fstab, /boot partition does not get auto mounted during boot up, so
the init script can't find /boot/System.map (/boot being the folder, an
empty on in /)

> which doesn't seem to cause problems during/after booting (??).

Don't worry.. It wont cause no harm, except for the annoying warning..

> I did a manual kernel compilation and the handbook didn't say anything
> about copying System.map to /boot. On a second attempt to reboot I did
> copied System.map to /boot. My grub.conf follows below. In /boot I have
> System.map and System.map-2.6.15.1 files (System.map is a soft link).

To make the warning disappear, simply copy /usr/src/linux/System.map to
/boot (don't mount the boot partition, i.e., make sure hda1 is *NOT*
mounted).. This should hopefully make the warning disappear.

> (snip)

Hope this helps,
Farhan Ahmed
--
Place           :  Bangalore, Karnataka, India
GPG Key         :  8BE90E98