Harry Putnam wrote:

John Jolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Harry Putnam wrote:

I'm running 32bit gentoo on an amd athlon64 would the architeture USE
flag still be ~x86? or something else?

k8
--

Sorry to be a pest on this, but I was unable to verify this
information on a google of  "site:gentoo.org ACCEPT_KEYWORDS k8"

In fact there seems to be a fair bit of confusion on this.
I suspect my /etc/make.conf is wrong in several ways.

First let me explain:  I switched computers due to my main linux box
giving up the ghost.  I grabbed an athlon64 +3400 running winxp and
pirated it for my main gentoo desktop.

I switched over lots of stuff from the salvaged HDDs to the athlon.
Not sure now what I may have edited into /etc/make.conf.  Somehow I
still got some amd stuff in it.  probably from a 'from scratch
install' using a stage.

Anyway cutting to the chase I have this in there, I added everthing
below ALSA_CARDS I think:
==============
# These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built
this stage
# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
ALSA_CARDS="via82xx"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo
http://gentoo.cs.lewisu.edu/gentoo/";
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
USE="samba smb mysql symlinks kde qt dvd alsa cdr emacs xinerama mbox apache2 hal logrotate objc gcj sasl vmmouse wacom radeon tga vesa vga via vmware nptl nptlonly -ipv6 -imap -maildir -gnome"

===============

Note that I am NOT running 64bit gentoo but 32bit gentoo on this
athlon64.

It shows architecture as athlon xp which it is not.  That is also 64
bit but from what I understand is still different than athlon64.
The xp mobos etc are cheaper, and not socket 754 I don't think.

Mine is socket 754 with K8V mobo chipset K8T800.  I'm guessing that is
where the `k8' comes from.

I've been running with above make.conf with no (noticed) problems for
about 2 mnths.  But now updating so would like to get it right.

So do you know if:
CFLAGS="-Os -march=athlon-xp -pipe" is wrong?

And if I wanted to run ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~XXX" keeping in mind I'm not
running 64bit gentoo, what would the `XXX' be?

maybe that was my misunderstading..on a brand-new opteron 64-bit...the architecture use flag i use is k8. I see no real reason to run 32-bit gentoo on a 64-bit box...64-bit support in gentoo was why we switched distros when we switched to 64-bit servers. my -march is k8 for those boxes. again, that's with a 64-bit opteron...if you're running something else, you might need a different flag. i believe, to your last question, it would still be i386.