On 12 June 2006 15:32, John J. Foster wrote:
> Good morning all,
>
> About 10 days ago we had a lightning strike very nearby that fried our
> electric utilities transformer and my APC RS800 UPS. This in turn caused
> my system to crash. When I brought it back up, all CMOS settings had been
> lost. After setting what I could remember (no, I didn't have them written
> down), I brought Gentoo back up. Massive complaints about the time being
> off (I had forgotten to set the hardware clock).
>
> # /etc/init.d/ntpd stop
> followed by
> # ntpdate pool.ntp.org

after this:
hwclock -wu
to get your hardware clock right. Without "u" if your hw clock is running in
local time.

> set the system time correctly. So I
> #/etc/init.d/ntpd start
>
> Since then, ntpd does not work.
> According to ps, ntpd is running
>
> //garbanzo/etc # ps aux|grep ntp
> root     19874  0.0  0.3   3656  3656 ?        SLs  09:05   0:00
> /usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid
>
> But all that shows in the /var/log/ntp.log is
> 12 Jun 09:05:46 ntpd[19515]: ntpd exiting on signal 15

It probably terminated right after your "ps". Would be interesting to know why
it is terminating. Maybe you should run ntpd in the foreground once:
ntpd -n

Uwe

--
Mark Twain: I rather decline two drinks than a German adjective.
http://www.SysEx.com.na