On Saturday 24 June 2006 12:49 pm, Lord Sauron wrote:
> I honestly am harbouring delusions of using the faster null modem
> stuff to directly sync my laptop with a future Linux CVS/Web server,
> so that I can have a update of the whole smash in my laptop once a
> day, rather than waiting for a slow internet connection remotely.
> It's just an idea I'm playing around with, and playing around is good
> (99% of the time, anyways).

I used to setup linux-based embedded systems running agetty on the serial
port.  That allowed us to connect to the machine with just a null-modem cable
(Windows client using hyperterm usually) and login directly if the network
went screwy.

The thing I remember most about the whole process was that running over a
serial connection was slow as molasses.  You need to set a baud rate on the
line (the server and client must agree on the rate) and you basically get
dial-up speeds.  If there is a way to coax 2Mb/s out of the thing I never
found it.

If you are looking for a linux client, look for a program called kermit.
It's been at least 5 years since I last used it, but I believe that is what
we used to use.

Josh