Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
Le 21 juin à 00:42:33 Robert Persson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> écrit notamment:

| I want to run fetchmail as a service and I am confused about how this works. I | simply want to have something that will quietly fetch and deliver mail to | maildirs to users' home directories, but that can also be disabled easily | when I need that bit of extra performance for something.

To enable fetchmail as demon:
# /etc/init.d/fetchmail start

To have fetchmail start automatically at boot:
# rc-update add fetchmail default

To suspend fetchmail:
# /etc/init.d/fetchmail stop
| I assume that fetchmail will first look at /etc/fetchmailrc. Will it then look | at each user's $HOME/.fetchmailrc?
Yes

| If so, can I assume that it will deal with each user's .procmailrc suid
| that user?

Yes; have a look at the fetchmail manual (-mda command)

regards

When I tried it, this didn't seem to work for me. I tried using an empty /etc/fetchmailrc because I wanted fetchmail to go straight to the ~/.fetchmailrc's, but it complained that no server was specified.

I'm not panicked about this any more because I have decided to use the relatively painless webmin to configure the ~/.fetchmailrc's and schedule cron jobs. even though it isn't exactly what I wanted. That said, if anyone knows what I should have done to get the fetchmail service to use the ~/.fetchmailrc's rather than /etc/fetchmailrc I would appreciate it.

Many thanks.
Robert