Le 25 juin à 08:18:20 Robert Persson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> écrit notamment:

| Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
| > Le 21 juin à 00:42:33 Robert Persson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> écrit notamment:
| >
| > | I want to run fetchmail as a service and I am confused about how
| > this works. I | simply want to have something that will quietly
| > fetch and deliver mail to | maildirs to users' home directories, but
| > that can also be disabled easily | when I need that bit of extra
| > performance for something.
| >
| > To enable fetchmail as demon:
| > # /etc/init.d/fetchmail start
| >
| > To have fetchmail start automatically at boot:
| > # rc-update add fetchmail default
| >
| > To suspend fetchmail:
| > # /etc/init.d/fetchmail stop
| >   | I assume that fetchmail will first look at
| > /etc/fetchmailrc. Will it then look | at each user's
| > $HOME/.fetchmailrc?
| >
| > Yes
| >

| > | If so, can I assume that it will deal with each user's .procmailrc suid
| > | that user?
| >

| > Yes; have a look at the fetchmail manual (-mda command)
| >
| > regards
| >

| When I tried it, this didn't seem to work for me. I tried using an
| empty /etc/fetchmailrc because I wanted fetchmail to go straight to
| the ~/.fetchmailrc's, but it complained that no server was specified.

There is this option in /etc/init.d/fetchmail which says that the config
file is /etc/fetchmailrc: -f /etc/fetchmailrc (it is in the middle of the
file); but if you remove it I think only /root/.fetchmailrc would be
searched, and I guess you don't have it and it's not your problem.

| I'm not panicked about this any more because I have decided to use
| the relatively painless webmin to configure the ~/.fetchmailrc's
| and
| schedule cron jobs. even though it isn't exactly what I wanted.

That's a good solution, I don't think running fetchmail as a daemon is
superior, it's just more straightforward for a system where a centralized
fetchmailrc is possible.

| That said, if anyone knows what I should have done to get the fetchmail
| service to use the ~/.fetchmailrc's rather than /etc/fetchmailrc I would
| appreciate it.

Well, you could imagine a cron job to copy the content of all ~/.fetchmailrc
in /etc/fetchmailrc (cat would do that), say every two hours, and run
fetchmail as daemon... but is worth it?

regards
--
  Jean Magnan de Bornier             |        Cours Victor Hugo
  e-mots: jean at bornier.net        |        13980 Alleins   France